Wednesday, December 10, 2014
Wednesday, November 26, 2014
Another vintage patten sewn. In general, I've found the vintage patterns to be more fitted and less revealing than the newer patterns.
Wednesday, October 29, 2014
Sunday, September 28, 2014
Tuesday, September 16, 2014
Since I had just completed Butterick 5985 and since I had fabric that matched in the stash I decided to move forward.
I cut off the top and used it as an over skirt, It's wearable but not my favorite. It took a long time to sew and I don't think the fabric I used for the main portion of the dress will wear well, it was pilling as I was sewing it.
Saturday, August 30, 2014
Saturday, August 9, 2014
Monday, July 28, 2014
Believe it or not, this is a current pattern and fabric that is still in the store! The fabric is a knit that is perforated with a floral design and has almost a leather look (scuba?). It is from JoAnne's. This was super easy to sew, I left out the zipper and the facings and left the hem raw. I didn't do any alterations to the pattern except make it longer. I may use this for the top of a copy of the Anna pattern. I went to buy that pattern but it ended up being fifty dollars for two patterns and shipping, YIKES!
Monday, July 7, 2014
I did get many compliments on this dress, but I think it was because of the fabric, purchased at Treadle Yard Goods in St. Paul, MN, but I did see it online at Marcy Tilton Fabrics.
Another pattern that I've wanted to sew for ages. And once again a pattern that looks good on a lot of people. I found this fabric at Mill End when they just started their closing sale. It has everything New York as the theme of the print, so cute.
The one modification I need to do is to add stitching on the straps because the bodice slides to the center. Just a warning too, it's a dress that is harder to put on because of the invisible zipper and the layers of fabric at the waist and the straps fall down easily. Guess one needs a dresser.
Wednesday, June 25, 2014
Monday, June 16, 2014
I needed something easy to sew so I went to this pattern. I had just made two dresses, one that was too small to wear and one that was tight, but wearable. For this I went to the fabric stash. I had tried sewing on this fabric a long time ago with my old Kenmore sewing machine, but no matter what I tried the fabric would suck into the machine. Now that I have the Pfaff it wasn't a problem at all. This dress took about three hours to sew, no hems on anything! The dress could have been tighter but after the last few dresses this is fine for me.
Tuesday, May 27, 2014
This is another pattern that has just been waiting for the right fabric for many years.
I am actually kind of shocked that the stripes matched up so well, considering each pattern piece was huge.
The sleeves are from a New Look pattern, but I can't remember the pattern, sorry!
Another favorite pattern of everyone, probably because it's easy to sew and looks good on everybody. This one was done in a knit that had been in the stash forever. I had sewn this before in a woven, but it was a little tight in the waist so I haven't worn it yet.
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
As promised, wearing the dress instead of just on the hanger. With this pattern I do have to wear a top underneath. If I don't my bra would show, the cutout needs to be moved down. However this pattern looks hard to alter, but it could make a cute skirt.
Tuesday, May 6, 2014
This was a fun pattern to sew. I sewed it sans lining and the bubble hem. I have enough bubbling going on without adding more. I had to shorten the straps quite a bit, but that's normal for me. Once again this dress would probably look better with plain fabric, but that's not my cup of tea.
This is a combination of two patterns Butterick 5951 and Butterick 5589 for the skirt. I would have liked to use the skirt with the pattern, but just not enough fabric. I like this dress, but I do think it would look better in a plain fabric so you could see the gathers at the shoulder and at the waist. But I like pattern!
I'm not used to posting directly to blogger, I used to upload my pictures to Flickr and blog directly from there, but they don't support that anymore. Sorry if there are some glitches.
Tuesday, March 18, 2014
I've been wanting to sew this pattern for a long time and finally the fabric and the pattern came together. Many have said how ugly this pattern is but I like it. I made a few changes, the sleeves are from McCall's 4510, because I thought something sans gathers would be better and because they fit on the fabric when cutting out. I also did not gather the neck band but I put elastic in the band so it would fit the neck better. Also, I put in a zipper and no kick-pleat. After my few flops, I'm glad to have something wearable.
Thursday, March 13, 2014
This dress was copied from Amanda's Adventures in Sewing. I think everyone wanted to copy this dress, not just me (but she's still the cutest). Her clothing is always so beautiful and wonderfully constructed.
I rarely use patterns twice, but this pattern is worth using more than once! The fabric was from S. R. Harris in the Minneapolis area.