It is the first day of fall, so I'm wearing a summer dress. The weather is warm enough and we even had a monsoon last night, crazy.
The pictures aren't so great, but my husband the photographer only likes to take a few photos. The fabric is from our trip to California last winter. It's a cotton with a birdcage print. The band is from the stash with a flower print at the bottom. I do like this pattern, I added length, graded out at the hips and didn't add the elastic to the sleeves. It tends to pull open at the bottom band, but if you were to add another button it would just pull. I think this would look cute with a shirt-tail hem.
Since I've had bad sewing karma lately, I've been going for easy fit dresses. This did fit pretty well. I have one small area on my body and that is from my shoulders to my armpits. What that means is that I always have to shorten the shoulder straps, or on this one, tie the ties more. This made the waist elastic go up higher than I would like, but I'm okay with that.
This pattern calls for 5.5 yards of fabric, so when I was last at SR Harris they had a bunch of cottons on sale for about three dollars a yard. So, I had to get a bunch of cottons! Excuse the walking shoes, but we were at an art fair in Edina. The perfect day, got to enjoy them while you can.
I ended up liking this dress, but during construction I had to say a few choice words. The top is silk and I just thought I'd use my narrow hemming foot. Well, that didn't work so I did the row of stitching, folded it, did more stitching and more folding and stitching.
I used a sturdy knit that I had on hand and lengthened the dress and made it wider.