Friday, June 26, 2015

Another Burda!

This is Burda 8/2014, style 116. When I saw this is the magazine, I knew I had to make it. Once again others on the internet had made this and it looked really cute. The instructions to make this were crazy and just made no sense. Sometimes you just have to sew.

Here is a close-up of the battenburg lace that I added to the front and back. I fused some areas, then did some stitching...hope that all stays on!

On this dress you have to take a picture of both the front and the back. I used elastic on the top and bottom and at the waist line using bias tape even though the top was lined. I also had to make the pattern larger and longer, since 42 was the largest size. I like this dress, but have no desire to make another one, at least not in the near future.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

BurdaStyle Dress

I saw that some other bloggers had made this dress and it looked really cute on them, so I decided to get out the tracing paper and have a go at it. It is from the BurdaStyle Magazine 6/2013. The bottom layer is a challis fabric and the top is an embroidered sheer, both purchased at SR Harris.

I had some problems with this pattern. The armholes had some gaping (I added darts in the sheer dress).
It was also too low cut and I think I'm wearing the sheer layer backwards. And the hem is funky. And the shoulder straps kept falling down. Other than that I like it.

If you like this style, use a pattern from your stash that is similar and that you've used before and just make some changes. It would be cute with a slim skirt underneath, don't you think?

Vintage Vogue 5217

This pattern has been in my collection for quite awhile and finally got to it.

I don't think this is my most flattering dress, but it feels comfortable and I did get a few compliments, so that's good. What I like about this outfit are the shoes. They were on a style segment on the local station. I saw them and ran to The Mall of America and Forever 21. I had to hunt them down (big store), but I prevailed and they are mine!

The legs almost match the dress!

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Butterick 5747

This turned out better than expected and it fits nice too. I finished this last year but very late in the season, can't wear your sailor dress in the winter.

Because this fabric had no body, I did quilting on the collar and the dickey. I sandwiched the fabric between another layer of fabric and did random stitching in various colors all over.


This is Vogue 1102. It does fit, but it just does not look right. I even went out and bought a bra converter, but that didn't work out either. I tried a top underneath and still crappy. My mom suggested a bolero, but I think I just need to donate this one. If you do want to make this pattern I would do a knit on top and something that is soft, not crisp.